Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

5 hours ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

I'm sure the corn will last, they should have been made in a way that's easily replaceable 

Good luck seeing Movie Wolrd replace the corn im sure its going to rot away like the Dc Rivals Que and ever other part of the park aswell

• Like 1

On another note, I looked at the photos again and something was off to me, I figured it out, it's the fences. They aren't inspired and I miss the days of where even the small details like fences and lights, and speaker were thought of for theming. Rather then just pathing and a fence. 

Imagine we got something similar to this, the fences, rustic and the lights on the power lines (I just googled wizard of Oz farm)...  It might be not picky, but

I don't want to be "transported" to the WoO where there is city lights and not thought through fences and smaller details...

aa9e1749063309.58aa4691f14ec.thumb.jpg.530fb2596439c2dcdeca9a2aae534167.jpg

Edited by Themepark Enthusist
Added extra details

On 21/09/2024 at 4:27 AM, Cactus_Matt said:

I hate to be a proverbial 'Debbie Downer' but this thread gives me a big ol' case of the "who cares", like apart from 'Rivals' all those years ago when was the last time any Aussie park has done anything worth getting legitimately excited over? Maybe for the local guest who is looking for something more exciting than a McDonalds playground to keep the young-uns entertained this is a plus, but other than that this feels like nothing but a big wet fart. I don't doubt that these will be ~good~ additions to the park, but it seems like we are far from offering anything an enthusiast gives a damn about. When I was a kid it felt like the Aussie parks were a contender to the lads Stateside but it's been a goddamn near two decades since I've felt that way. But what do I know, I don't have kids of my own, and I don't care about IP so this might as well be a slam dunk in sheep's clothing. Whatever the case, it's been over 6 years since I've gone back home to the Gold Coast and neither this, nor what Dreamworld is working on has caused me to jump a plane and see what's on offer. Guess I'll be travelling up North for funerals rather than fun at this point...

You're thinking about this development and it's impact on you, and that's ok, we're all a bit selfish over what we want the parks to build. 

The reality is that a park full of headlining thrill coasters doesn't survive. The coasters are extremely expensive to build and maintain, and they alienate a large portion of the population that are either under the height requirement, don't like the thrill\upside down\G-forces associated or have medical conditions that prevent them from riding. 

While this doesn't in and of itself mean the coasters wouldn't have a bunch of people queuing to ride them - it's the rest of their family group that aren't interested in visiting. 

Even the big thrill parks Stateside with the most coasters in the world still have smaller attractions, kids rides, family rides, flat rides, small fun coasters with minimal thrills, and honestly - this is the gap Movie World is filling. Magic Mountain and Cedar Point both have well rounded rosters and not everything has to be a record breaker.

Road Runner can't be ridden solo under 120cm. it's 110cm with an adult. 

Spongebob solo is 110cm, 90cm with an adult. I think Kansas Twister is going to fall somewhere in between those two and it lowers the bar for kids at Movie World, plus it offers a "less thrilling" rollercoaster experience for the adults who don't like being balls to the wall.

10 hours ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

On another note, I looked at the photos again and something was off to me, I figured it out, it's the fences. They aren't inspired and I miss the days of where even the small details like fences and lights, and speaker were thought of for theming. Rather then just pathing and a fence. 

Imagine we got something similar to this, the fences, rustic and the lights on the power lines (I just googled wizard of Oz farm)...  It might be not picky, but

I don't want to be "transported" to the WoO where there is city lights and not thought through fences and smaller details...

aa9e1749063309.58aa4691f14ec.thumb.jpg.530fb2596439c2dcdeca9a2aae534167.jpg

Unfortunately too many people have lost their heads (literally) entering a ride envelope when they shouldn't. Our safety rules require fences that prevent opportunistic entry. Wild West Falls used to have a gorgeous themed timber post and rail fence but too many people were climbing the fence to retrieve hats and what-not and so the big pool fence got put up instead.

I don't see that there's much difference between these fences and the ones at Jet Rescue or Storm... if anything this mesh is a tight diamond rather than the standard 'cyclone' mesh at Sea World, which IMO looks nicer (though it probably makes it harder for the die-hard photographers to fit their lens through the gaps). We're also seeing the view from the back of the land, and i'm sure there is more attention paid to the optics from the 'front approach'.

• Like 2

Well I wonder if they could achieve an non opportunistic look by using a fence similar to tailspin, still meeting the 1m high requirement using like "weathered" looked fencing  it also doesn't excuse the use of the shelf Street lights that you'd see in Brisbane in side the world of WoO... My main issue isn't the fence being real but the way they did it, the examples that i have attached are some fences that still need to meet the requirements, but also convey the theme.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.14d3d9275697d84b48797718fcfe2ebb.jpgSSBR4-1-1024x771.thumb.jpg.0fe88f803c9f5a4d9a89f4f71dc4b227.jpg

1 hour ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

Well I wonder if they could achieve an non opportunistic look by using a fence similar to tailspin, still meeting the 1m high requirement using like "weathered" looked fencing  it also doesn't excuse the use of the shelf Street lights that you'd see in Brisbane in side the world of WoO...

They could, but it just boils down to those options being more expensive. Hopefully other areas/viewpoints have had better thought put into them.

1 hour ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

Well I wonder if they could achieve an non opportunistic look by using a fence similar to tailspin, still meeting the 1m high requirement using like "weathered" looked fencing  it also doesn't excuse the use of the shelf Street lights that you'd see in Brisbane in side the world of WoO... My main issue isn't the fence being real but the way they did it, the examples that i have attached are some fences that still need to meet the requirements, but also convey the theme.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.14d3d9275697d84b48797718fcfe2ebb.jpgSSBR4-1-1024x771.thumb.jpg.0fe88f803c9f5a4d9a89f4f71dc4b227.jpg

Main issues here with your post are, the fact that one of your examples is from an international park, with vastly different safety requirements, secondly flat rides have different requirements than coasters do.

Queensland has some of the strictest laws in the country surrounding attractions, I'd imagine their hands are tied with this.

22 minutes ago, ShakeShack said:

Main issues here with your post are, the fact that one of your examples is from an international park, with vastly different safety requirements, secondly flat rides have different requirements than coasters do.

Queensland has some of the strictest laws in the country surrounding attractions, I'd imagine their hands are tied with this.

MW's hands aren't tied.  MW went the cheap option and have no imagination, full stop!   I would like to see people climb a 1m high electric fence from the bush.  🤣

Edited by New display name
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, ShakeShack said:

Steel Taipan has a nice looking fence that still adhears to the regulations. It's not about the regulations but they could have done something nicer then just a off the shelf fence. 

It still doesn't explain the Brisbane Street Lights in the middle of forest theming 

1 hour ago, ShakeShack said:

I've seen tailspin do an E-stop mid-cycle, and while it does come low, any invader into the ride envelope would have to be very tall and very unlucky to be hit. Any half decent operator on that ride would be on the e-stop before they entered the ride area and would never be in any danger, so a low enough but unclimbable pool-type fence is sufficient.

The fence in the Snoopy attraction looks just as high as the WOZ fence, it's just painted brown.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

MW's hands aren't tied.  MW went the cheap option and have no imagination, full stop!   I would like to see people climb a 1m high electric fence from the bush.  🤣

I'm quite sure an electric fence isn't allowed as a primary exclusion device for the public. too many idiots touch them to "see if they're real".

23 minutes ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

It still doesn't explain the Brisbane Street Lights in the middle of forest theming 

Would it have been nice if they'd come up with a custom designed lightpost to fit the theme? Yes. Would it have cost a stupid amount of money for a totally custom fixture? also yes. Is this required for a theme park? No. Is this required for safety and security at night? Yes. 

Ergo - ordinary streetlights are in, and my bet is people won't notice that they're unthemed anymore than they notice the chain wire fence, the giant joker face or superman flying over top of 'Oz' either.

15 minutes ago, New display name said:

What I always find strange is, a chain-wire fence is climbable.  The reason you never see one, around a swimming pool (not legally anyway).  🤔

Chain wire poses enough of a deterrent that sane people will recognise the fence as 'you shouldn't be in here' and it takes a really determined knucklehead to think going over it is a good idea. You could install a 100% unclimbable wall at great additional expense but it's just not necessary. Vigilant operators can e-stop an attraction if someone is seen climbing the envelope, likely well before they get near a moving vehicle. 

And if they don't - well, Darwin was right!

• 2 weeks later...