Viking’s Revenge Flume Ride Removal

themagician

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RobMac said:

SW need a flume ride!

They do, but I’m sure there argument would be that Storm Coaster and Battle Boats ticks the water based ride box for their line up.

What the park needs to do right now is make Trident and Vortex reliable because right now to amount of down time these rides have, they may as well not be there

• Like 1

6 hours ago, New display name said:

I would go a big wheel over a flume at SW

image.thumb.png.6b3c756738d8155be61f247f6e12d5b2.png

i mean they did have one..

7 hours ago, themagician said:

What the park needs to do right now is make Trident and Vortex reliable because right now to amount of down time these rides have, they may as well not be there

maybe also leviathan open on time too and with the park for once?

Edited by TV15

4 hours ago, New display name said:

I've always thought SW could open a wheel up at night, as a restaurant.

So, what you’re saying is that you want VRTP to build a Ferris Wheel, either optionally or expressly as a food venue, perhaps adjacent but definitely not within Sea World? Like Skypoint, but in a worse location, at a higher cost, with less capacity & more operational issues? And this is being compared to a lot flume?

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

Are we forgetting that Sea World did have a Ferris wheel, but was removed due to the locals complaints.

45 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Like Skypoint, but in a worse location, at a higher cost, with less capacity & more operational issues?

They tried that too (not operated by SW) and that went terribly too.

Locals have no say anymore @themagician The temporary wheel was a great success and SW wanted to keep it but due to the town planning laws at that time, council wouldn't approve it.  

SW could build a strata coaster today with no problems, if they wanted to.

Edited by New display name
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, New display name said:

I said none of that but please, keep going.

I mean it is, though. Using it as a restaurant, at night, makes it impossible to be a Sea World ride (especially not in the plot this thread is about), unless you want to make a ride that’s designed with the purpose to run only 1-2 months of the year.

Edited by Tricoart

With this wheel thing, yeah wouldn't it be a normal wheel during the day, then at night I guess you'd let people in, have a set number of bookings and some sort of flip down table in each gondola. You send people in, you get a few laps and a set menu, one course per revolution or something? Get the special events crew to ferry food across.

Would be an interesting concept.

• Like 1

During the day, the wheel would run as a standard attraction for park guest..  At night it would operate as a rotating restaurant.  The food would be made within one of the existing kitchens and delivered to the wheel.  I'll leave what food SW serve up to the park.  SW could have a set menu or like what was done in Europe during Covid, on a big wheel, where each gondola had an Ipad in it for food ordering.

On 11/06/2024 at 6:19 PM, themagician said:

They should do that 

Can we not do both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2024 at 12:30 PM, Brad2912 said:

I agree, however i can just imagine how slow that loading would be on a big wheel.... you want a leisurely trip and would be stuck on it for an hour

Having just returned from Japan where every town has a bare minimum of one giant ferris wheel, and in some cases, several, most rides completed a full rotation in 15 minutes, generally with stop\start loading. Some models can do continuous load unless disability access is needed. And a 15 minute sitdown in air conditioning while marvelling at the sights is a wonderful way to rest without 'wasting it' sitting in a corner.

On 11/06/2024 at 5:58 PM, themagician said:

Are we forgetting that Sea World did have a Ferris wheel, but was removed due to the locals complaints.

They tried that too (not operated by SW) and that went terribly too.

nobody is forgetting it happened but I think you might be forgetting the current planning allowances.

On 13/06/2024 at 10:53 AM, New display name said:

During the day, the wheel would run as a standard attraction for park guest..  At night it would operate as a rotating restaurant.  The food would be made within one of the existing kitchens and delivered to the wheel.  I'll leave what food SW serve up to the park.  SW could have a set menu or like what was done in Europe during Covid, on a big wheel, where each gondola had an Ipad in it for food ordering.

I can't see village being able to deliver food as quickly as you order it on an ipad unless the kitchen is part of the wheel facility - however there are many pre-set options - Singapore (Mount Faber) cable cars offer a bento box style meal, or a three course meal with each course delivered per circuit.

If you could get the position right, an upcharge night booking with meals would be a real moneymaker.

It's important to remember the failures of the Southern Star Wheel though...

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It's important to remember the failures of the Southern Star Wheel though...

The location of the Southern Star doomed it from the start.  As long as the purchase of the wheel, is viable theme park attraction and not reliant on a up-charge to operate, I can't see many issues.   For example, if the Dreamworld markets were to close, the Dreamworld Flyer would still make sense for the park.

I do agree. The design of the wheel and the flaws in manufacturing also impacted it negatively. 

It is still important to bear those issues in mind. These things clearly cost a lot to run (at Cosmoworld Yokohama, the wheel cost more than the coaster to ride) so while the upcharge shouldn't be relied upon, clearly they can subsidise a lot of their ops cost if they were able to accommodate it.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I’m very much looking forward to your trip report if you got to experience Fantasy Springs 

Our package included unlimited entry and rides in fantasy springs. I'm currently listening to the music album of the rides. 

I've got mixed opinions about TDR as a whole, but insofar as fantasy springs goes:

• Arendelle - Hong Kong did it better. The frozen ride itself however was far better than Hong Kong.
  • Neverland - looked great and the ride was top notch. 
  • Tinkerbell outdoor ride - a nice touch to give the fairies a place in the park, ride is jerkier than Disneyland's Alice ride, ouch!
  • Tangled - beautiful ride, would have liked them to put as much effort into it as Frozen but we all know which franchise prints money. 
  • Restaurants are all counter service \ mobile order. No sit-down, table service options is a miss IMO. 
  • Retail space was lacking - they heavily relied on the gift shop in the ground floor of the hotel. 
  • The rockwork and water fountains were cool, but it's clear they've built it for the locals to have photo ops and it was near impossible to see these without hordes of girls and their photographers clamouring for 'space' to have the perfect shot.
  • The current entry system required wristbands once entry had been validated, though they handed these out at the entry and at every attraction entrance, which slowed down the queues considerably. Additionally the wristbands were a cloth ribbon with a one way fastener that could be tightened, but not loosened. As the day progressed, these would work their way tighter, until it became uncomfortable. All FS cast carried scissors, so this was an obvious problem.
  • As a benefit of our package, we hit everything in FS before most of the entry request timeslots started, so were able to lap the attractions a few times very quickly. As the day went on, it became increasingly crowded, and we elected to go spend the rest of our time in other ports, which were comparably empty and made the rest of the park a lot quieter, so we managed to tick off most of what we wanted to do in one day.
  • Like 2