Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

18 hours ago, Tricoart said:

They're not talking about the ride itself, they're talking about the processes they used to develop the theme/story for it ('design philosophy'), which by definition wasn't what they state it was. 

Sorry little buddy, but you've got it wrong, i'm with Wiki on this one.

The phrase you've isolated from the entire spiel is being twisted. Let's take a look in the entire context (my emphasis)

Gold Coast Australia's Dreamworld selected Earthstory from an international field, to create and develop the engaging storylines, visitor experiences and exotic theming designs for their iconic "Rivertown", "Jungle Rush" roller coaster and "Murrasippi Motors" car ride.

This was effectively a ‘greenfield’ site; Earthstory worked with Greg Yong and the Dreamworld team to set the bedrock for an iconic attraction. Together, we conceived and worked through the concept feasibility of a temple dark ride, and how to tie a two-ride precinct into a single coherent and exciting visitor journey.

Our design philosophy was grounded in the old school, steering away from digital solutions to a ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ mechanical approach - for a cinematic feel where ‘you are in the story’. Our creative journey called for the origination of everything - from an ancient culture including its architecture and artifacts - to a motley crew of adventurers, hand-built jungle cars, a towering temple, massive mysterious statues, and a complete backstory to drive the visitor experience. Upon delivery of Earthstory's Visitor Experience package, Pico Play commenced the CAD and construction process to bring our conceptual designs to fruition.

As wiki has put forward already, what they're saying is they proposed physical set pieces and props to theme and tell the story - mechanical in nature - rather than representing these things with 'digital solutions' using screens or computers.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

22 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Sorry little buddy, but you've got it wrong, i'm with Wiki on this one.

The phrase you've isolated from the entire spiel is being twisted. Let's take a look in the entire context (my emphasis)

As wiki has put forward already, what they're saying is they proposed physical set pieces and props to theme and tell the story - mechanical in nature - rather than representing these things with 'digital solutions' using screens or computers.

18 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Even if they aren't directly talking about that, and instead about what they assume/hope the area will be designed to be, pushing a return to non-digital solutions whilst relying on AI in their concepting of these is disingenuous enough.

53 minutes ago, New display name said:

I wish parks stopped copying Indian Jones.

Gone are the days when people did not travel around the world and experience the real thing.

It’s going to look great, but you can’t get it out of your head, it’s a knock off.

There's a difference between going to a place and keeping to the path vs driving through an effectively uncharted ruin headfirst.

2 hours ago, New display name said:

I wish parks stopped copying Indian Jones.

Gone are the days when people did not travel around the world and experience the real thing.

It’s going to look great, but you can’t get it out of your head, it’s a knock off.

The thought has never once crossed my mind that this was some sort of knock off of anything. 

Can you give some other examples of Parks that have copied indiana jones?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

Disney does not have a monopoly on this theme.

Theming around ancient temples, I have no issue with but the design brief screams let's copy Indiana Jones.  The design brief goes as far as talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I would think there is enough talent in the world that designers could come up with their own ideas.

32 minutes ago, New display name said:

Theming around ancient temples, I have no issue with but the design brief screams let's copy Indiana Jones.  The design brief goes as far as talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I would think there is enough talent in the world that designers could come up with their own ideas.

Not when 'your ideas' are created by ChatGPT

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, New display name said:

the design brief screams let's copy Indiana Jones. 

No it doesn't.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

The design brief goes as far as talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yes it does.

People seem to forget that Raiders of the Lost Ark - the first film to introduce the Indiana Jones character - is somewhat factually based on people who have searched for the mysterious artefact referenced in the Bible.

The city referenced in the film - Tanis - was a real archaeological discovery of the 1930's (though it was discovered by a Frenchman, not the Nazis). 

The film takes a lot of licence with story and characters (it is entertainment, not a documentary) but it is arguable that a somewhat factual historic story about ancient temples and lost artefacts isn't unique to Indiana Jones, with 'The Ark' being a somewhat well known myth amongst archaeologists well before Spielberg came to town.

What is telling is that the design brief references Raiders of the Lost Ark, and not Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye \ Crystal Skull (depending on whether you prefer the US or JP versions). If they were referencing the Disney ride to copy, one would presume they would reference it? 

42 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Not when 'your ideas' are created by ChatGPT

You still banging on about that? Since AI tools launched, many people have taken to utilising them for various functions.

AI tools are still a case of input and output. Nobody went into ChatGPT and said "i bought a rollercoaster. theme it." And its very disingenuous to suggest that the people involved in this work - designers, engineers etc are just kicking back playing ping pong while some bot in the corner singlehandedly churns out the attraction.

Seeing some of their early concepts that are clearly AI generated, and then seeing the later artworks that have taken inspiration from the visuals to create wholly original artistic works, I think they've done some amazing work.

Of course if you think you can do better with a wholly original concept, i'd love to see it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Of course if you think you can do better with a wholly original concept, i'd love to see it. 

I'm not petty enough to become an engineer/designer just to prove their use of AI wrong to you, it should be rather obvious. Again, I hope the area itself will still turn out okay, but knowing that they've used AI & not knowing how many aspects of the project it's infected puts a poor taste in my mouth.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Again, I hope the area itself will still turn out okay, but knowing that they've used AI & not knowing how many aspects of the project it's infected puts a poor taste in my mouth.

Late to the party here and I'm lost, where have they used AI? Every company is clambering to to say they're leveraging Generative AI at the moment, yet there's no mention of it anywhere that I could see just now.

Are you confusing digital renders for AI? These are not the same.

11 minutes ago, franky said:

Late to the party here and I'm lost, where have they used AI? Every company is clambering to to say they're leveraging Generative AI at the moment, yet there's no mention of it anywhere that I could see just now.

Are you confusing digital renders for AI? These are not the same.

Looking at them closer, these images specifically are pretty obviously AI generated, with some of the ’sketch’ images having weird parts/details that could show they’ve at least been partially generated, too.

IMG_8136.thumb.jpeg.58ea6a0cc4a1beb5a73e389f694c380b.jpeg

IMG_8137.thumb.jpeg.8749c8051370c3cd2a09cd08b6323ec5.jpeg

IMG_8138.thumb.jpeg.1390075c35364933d1a0f2fb4f7e6488.jpeg

And, assuming that they indeed are, the extent of their AI usage in the project could go any degree further than this, which worries me & severely lowers my expectations/anticipation for the project in general.

They haven’t explicitly stated their AI usage, which (arguably) makes it worse, as they were essentially contracted for their creative expertise, and have never stated they’ve used AI during this.

Edited by Tricoart

On 25/06/2024 at 10:41 PM, Dean Barnett said:

heard of roadworks?

On 26/06/2024 at 12:41 AM, Brad2912 said:

yeah, they are completely unrelated to theme park roller coasters.

3 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Looking at them closer, these images specifically are pretty obviously AI generated.

IMG_8136.thumb.jpeg.58ea6a0cc4a1beb5a73e389f694c380b.jpeg

IMG_8137.thumb.jpeg.8749c8051370c3cd2a09cd08b6323ec5.jpeg

IMG_8138.thumb.jpeg.1390075c35364933d1a0f2fb4f7e6488.jpeg

And, assuming that they indeed are, the extent of their AI usage in the project could go any degree further than this, which worries me & severely lowers my expectations/anticipation for the area.

How do u expect them to show concept art without ai ur honsetly being so stupid right now.  Even if say this whole concept is ai made its still better then building their own custom desing to watch it tank.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, STRAWS said:

How do u expect them to show concept art without ai ur honsetly being so stupid right now.  Even if say this whole concept is ai made its still better then building their own custom desing to watch it tank.

Their literal contracted job for Rivertown was to design its concept, and every single project pre-2020’s managed making & releasing concept art without AI just fine (as Movie World is seemingly doing right now with WoO).

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

@Tricoart you’re being very passionate about something that doesn’t really matter. Dreamworld haven’t released these (poorer quality) artworks on their own socials, they’ve just published the actually good ones that will give a better idea of what’s going be reality.

Before AI was possible, you’d just do a quick photoshop to capture the concept/theme that they’re going for. Now AI is an available tool, so why not use it. It’s not like they’re going to be using these AI images to build the thing!

And I’m sure there is a lot better content being shown behind closed doors, but what this contractor has shown is purely to just tease the basic concept of what they are doing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, themagician said:

And I’m sure there is a lot better content being shown behind closed doors, but what this contractor has shown is purely to just tease the basic concept of what they are doing.

I admire your optimism, and will reiterate once more that I do hope the area itself is good, as well as saying that none of this seems to be the fault of any company but Earthstory. But them openly using AI, let alone doing so as a contracting business that’s effectively selling human creativity & trying to pass AI content off instead without disclosing it, demeans the project & them as a company, no matter the reason or extent that it was used (which can’t be judged solely by the images, but y’know, “where there’s smoke, there’s a warehouse filled with thousands of CPU’s burning down the Amazon to process your slop”).

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

I admire your optimism, and will reiterate once more that I do hope the area itself is good, as well as saying that none of this seems to be the fault of any company but Earthstory. But them openly using AI, let alone doing so as a contracting business that’s effectively selling human creativity & trying to pass AI content off instead without disclosing it, demeans the project & them as a company, no matter the reason or extent that it was used (which can’t be judged solely by the images, but y’know, “where there’s smoke, there’s a warehouse filled with thousands of CPU’s burning down the Amazon to process your slop”).

Why are you all so hung up on 2 image examples probably the most junior person in the office decided to publish on the VERY outdated website?

Just because there are 2 images that look to be AI generated doesn’t mean the entire project is done by AI. Any sensible person would know they’ve used those images (whether AI or not) as part of the creative journey, to add to moodboards, help in brainstorming, etc.

You’re also forgetting these images… it’s not all AI

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0467.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Michelangelo said:

Just because there are 2 images that look to be AI generated doesn’t mean the entire project is done by AI. Any sensible person would know they’ve used those images (whether AI or not) as part of the creative journey, to add to moodboards, help in brainstorming, etc.

*3 images, at least. I’m not forgetting the other posted images (I actually directly mention them as instances of AI not needing to be used in an earlier post), nor am I claiming that Earthstory using AI means that the entire project has definitively become riddled with it. For what seems like too many times to count: The fact that Earthstory, a creatively driven company who was contracted for that exact reason, used AI in their part of the process at all means that it’s just not known where they’ve drawn the line (pun somewhat intended) at its’ usage, and that reflects poorly on their part of the process as a whole IMO.

And, for the last reiteration before I give up once i’m inevitably misinterpreted again, this is all about Earthstory’s part in the process. Which was, according to the website, effectively to ‘moodboard’ the project for Pico Play to then flesh out into the actual areas’ design that we’re getting. So, no, it’s not outdated, it’s reflecting their early part in the process. And no, I’ve never said the entire project was done by AI, only that Earthstory’s involvement is now soured by specifically their use of it. If you want to demean what I’m saying, please actually look at what I’m saying next time.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1