Dreamworld staff member mauled by tiger with “multiple deep lacerations” to body

Nick

17 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

but would still functionally be what they’re doing.

The Tigers at Dreamworld don't 'perform'.  What you see in the Tiger Island presentations is the equivalent of a pet cat chasing a laser pointer or throwing a bone for a pet dog to chase and collect.

The animals cannot and will not ever be able to survive in the wild but still have wild instincts, which the handlers help  foster and nurture through play.

Animals, like people, also have bad days.  But we don't really know if this particular incident was aggression or just an animal getting carried away with play, or even just an animal in a bad mood wanting to be left alone in that particular moment. 

This is just my opinion, but withdrawing contact from animals that have known nothing else, including contact from specific people that raised them, is cruel to the animals.

6 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

What you see in the Tiger Island presentations is the equivalent of a pet cat chasing a laser pointer or throwing a bone for a pet dog to chase and collect.

Yes, and if you have you cat chase a laser pointer to show it to a guest, for example, I would count that as having your cat perform for said guest. Again, 'perform' means more than forcing an unnatural action onto an animal, and I never meant to have that comparison be made.

Edited by Tricoart