King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld

Tricoart

3 hours ago, wikiverse said:

The slow part will be demolishing/rebuilding the station if they need to. But presumably, the queue and station will remain, and the lowering floor will be widened toward the path with new footings for the structure.

Demolishing and rebuilding the control booth and queue will also be quick in the grand scheme of the job. I’d imagine considering the ride is a completely different scale, it might not just be as simple as widening the lowered floor. I think the entire area will be demolished and cleared before ground works begin (which is generally the longest process because of all of the electrical systems required, footings, concrete, etc).

7 hours ago, themagician said:

I’d imagine considering the ride is a completely different scale, it might not just be as simple as widening the lowered floor. I think the entire area will be demolished and cleared before ground works begin (which is generally the longest process because of all of the electrical systems required, footings, concrete, etc).

I 100% agree. We can't forget how much safety standards, rules & regulations have changed since The Claw was built. I'd expect, although everything is currently deemed safe, absolutely everything will need to be completely removed, flattened and started from scratch to allow the new ride to comply with modern safety standards. I just don't see how modifying/re-using etc. anything at all that is there is going to cut it with today's standards.

Although simple in theory. I think in practice, they're going to take a good chunk of time on this one. The last thing they want is their own SW Trident fiasco..

Edited by Joshaaye
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, themagician said:

Demolishing and rebuilding the control booth and queue will also be quick in the grand scheme of the job. I’d imagine considering the ride is a completely different scale, it might not just be as simple as widening the lowered floor. I think the entire area will be demolished and cleared before ground works begin (which is generally the longest process because of all of the electrical systems required, footings, concrete, etc).

You don't think there's a chance, DW are reusing the control booth?

On 25/9/2024 at 9:50 AM, Tricoart said:

Keep in mind, these are without any ride buildings or taking the swing clearance into account, it's just the ride hardware & platform.

Shockwave.thumb.png.79706c1d610e24c09c0477883e426bc7.png
(Uses same platform location)

Pathway.thumb.png.0e03a638c13684128ef7b86789f36bbf.png
(Shifted platform location)

Rotated.thumb.png.ab6d97a4f16fb8caae5bbc06e451f321.png
(Uses same platform location)

Seems to me like the only way they could keep the current op booth is if they encroach on Shockwave (which’d then require the project to have the removal of 2 rides). Any other position, and they’d need to reorient it.

As for the ride floor, that’s what the ‘Same platform location’ is referring to there, having it oriented so that the arm comes to rest at the same spot that the Claw’s does, so something like an extension to the platform could hypothetically work. If they were to shift it (second image), it would necessitate a totally new ride floor after the complete removal of Claw’s, regardless of if keeping the same location could possibly allow for that or not.

Edited by Tricoart

3 minutes ago, New display name said:

King Claw went out for tender today.  Images from public tender.

6a.thumb.JPG.dd0204dbff61b304f511c7d152e8d89a.JPG

5a.thumb.JPG.de0e91e9324331abaa3facb55259e35f.JPG

4a.thumb.JPG.a344f67552d7a5d4e13989971b8cc8b2.JPG

3a.thumb.JPG.527eef24d6e4fc7d6b2faa779761617c.JPG

2a.thumb.JPG.27298dd65e53c97d8882670753dd8f42.JPG

1a.thumb.JPG.33279994e188d00a3159f0e03edf5c01.JPG

Interesting stuff! It looks like it will have a very different queue line to the claw, and there will be a different sign on top of it. I love the theming of it!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, New display name said:

So they do seem to have used the same platform location, and rotated it to face Main Street rather than swing adjacent to it. Should create an even better effect from there, especially with the queue entrance being framed directly underneath the swing, also facing Main St. Big fan of its presentation so far.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Should create an even better effect from there, especially with the queue entrance being framed directly underneath the swing, also facing Main St.

Definitely agree there. The Claw was imposing, but with the entrance right in front of you as you walk down mainstreet, and the arm swinging out in front of you, it will sure be pretty crazy. It's also nice to have a different view now. The theming and colour scheme of King Claw also seem to fit in much better with ocean parade than The Claw ever did.

2 minutes ago, jjuttup said:

Dissappointed about the feet not returning though.

I was thinking of saying that, but I refrained from it, because although the feet aren't there, I'm sure there will be many more thematic elements considering what they've been doing recently with the likes of Jungle Rush and Rivertown.

• Like 1

This is a much better implementation than even I was expecting.

After the big spend on Rivertown, I thought DW might go for the lowest-cost option and preserve the existing station/queue.  I still thought they'd do a good job, but I'm really pleased to see them re-working the entire area to create a better impression.

I'm also really glad to see that the theming ties in much more with Tail Spin.  It seems like they've now decided on a unified aesthetic for Ocean Parade which has been a total mess for the last 15 years containing motorsports, trolls, turbines, monsters, seaplanes, and Kevil Hill.  It definitely feels like Ocean Parade will be the next big area to get some love. 

Unrelated - Gold Coaster turns 30 next year.  It's time for a replacement, and there is a lot of land from the Wipeout plot to Kevil Hill (Including GC and Thunderbolt plots) that could be used for an amazing Ocean Parade development.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

Unrelated - Gold Coaster turns 30 next year.  It's time for a replacement, and there is a lot of land from the Wipeout plot to Kevil Hill (Including GC and Thunderbolt plots) that could be used for an amazing Ocean Parade development.

They've recently demolished the last remnants of FlowRider, so the space in that corner has opened up considerably for them to rework that area entirely. 

I don't really want them to get rid of gold coaster yet - old and rough though it is. let it live a bit longer...

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

May as well demolish and start from scratch at that age 

Yeah, a retrack won’t solve its issue now w/ the new trains eliminating most related problems. Its apparent roughness is a result of the track’s profiling, which can’t be fixed nearly as easily as a running issue, and would be better off getting something new over reprofiling what they’ve got.

Edited by Tricoart

I like the placement of the ride being right in front of you when you walk down from Main Street, will be a good photo op. The theming is noice too, unfortunately the support beams don’t seem to have the hands this time round unfortunately.

Edited by TBoy

2 hours ago, New display name said:

DW have a great opportunity to light the creature up on top of the ride so it can stand out from the highway. 

Lasers shoot from out of the eyes, blowing up cars on the highway, during peak hour, is also acceptable.    

Can't wait to play the new version of dodgeball! Also would help ease traffic...

4 hours ago, New display name said:

That looks really nice. Yeah I thought they would flip the ride position. If it was kept in the same spot you’d be encroaching on shockwave. Will look really imposing to guests from Main Street (you’d see it in action from the car park and highway too probably) and will be nice to get a different view swinging towards tail spin.

1 hour ago, wikiverse said:

Thunderbolt’s land will probably go to whitewater world (as much as the nostalgia nerd in me would like dreamworld to rework the old station for another thunderbolt)

Rocky Hollow is the next cab off the rank but I’d imagine ocean parade is the last thing they touch before Coast sells.

Gold Coaster has only operated for about 25 years total and has still got a fair bit of life left. It’s a waste of time to replace the track as it’s not popular enough to justify that expense. It’ll go when the time is right to invest into that corner of the park

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

but I’d imagine ocean parade is the last thing they touch before Coast sells.

Why’s it still an assumption that Dreamworld’ll be sold to a different operator? Ardent restructured their entire company to focus solely on Dreamworld/WWW (& Skypoint), selling Dreamworld would now mean the death of the company.