King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld

Tricoart

1 minute ago, Brad2912 said:

There is no reason they couldn't have replaced Claw with an entirely different ride altogether, but beating the height of a travelling ride would not have played into an conversation or decision making

You’re missing the point of the conversation. Was never saying they were trying to beat the status of a travelling ride, it’s moreso the fact that these parks have opportunities to build incredibly sized attractions, yet they opt for average… I mean Movieworld literally bought a suspended Kamikaze and look how that turned out. 

5 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

the fact that these parks have opportunities to build incredibly sized attractions, yet they opt for average

so... if they had gone with a 47m swing height, would that have then be classified as incredibly sized? And then moved from "average" to "good" ?

You have to remember the Claw plot isn't exactly in clear pastures, the clearance margins are finite, and for all we know this is the total extent to which they could go without having to remove a neighbouring ride or greatly alter the footprint / site which would then have exceeded budget. 

Just now, Brad2912 said:

so... if they had gone with a 47m swing height, would that have then be classified as incredibly sized? And then moved from "average" to "good" ?

You have to remember the Claw plot isn't exactly in clear pastures, the clearance margins are finite, and for all we know this is the total extent to which they could go without having to remove a neighbouring ride or greatly alter the footprint / site which would then have exceeded budget. 

Not necessarily seeing as the Booster Maxxx and Sky Flyer XXL stand at 55 metres respectively. 

Of course there are logistics around such purchases and plans. It just slightly seems like a missed opportunity, but it no doubt will be popular. At least Dreamworld are taking steps to evolve the park… the same can’t be said for down the road. 

44 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Trolls Village? I mean it hasn't been that for years, and they don't have a dreamworks license, so that isnt happening.

I think there was miscommunication here, I meant open it up, by tearing down the fences and just allow the land to be a land rather then just a pathway. I don't mean bring back Trolls, I was just meaning hopefully we will see ocean parade get a spruce up 

1 minute ago, Gazza said:

LOL, Wash your mouth out!

1141139.jpg?b64lines=IApOTyBPTkUgV0hPIFJPREUgQQogTEFSR0UgTU9ERUwKIElOVEFNSU4gR1lSTyBTV0lORwogV09VTEQgU0FZIFRIQVQuIExFVCdTIEdFVAogSElNLg==

I've done the Beast, I've done the Zamperla Giga Discovery, I've done the Intamin and the Intamin one is in an entirely different league.

See, the issue with these types of rides from cheaper manufacturers like Zamplera and KMG is that they put underpowered motors in the swing, so a great deal of the ride cycle is spent simply getting to full height. On the KMG it takes 1:30. The Giga Discovery takes close to 2:00

But the Intamin? 45 seconds.

Its like being strapped to a rocket at the start. Intamin know where to push it when it comes to intensity. and then at the top of each swing, the motors are actively pushing back in reverse, and forcing you downwards, so you get enhanced airtime in the same way Batwing drops down "faster than gravity". More of the time is spent on the fun part...swinging beyond vertical, and less on the crap part....low speed nauseating swings.

And the rotation speed is perfect. Its not pretending to be an eggbeater like the Beast.

And there are no OTSRs.

Cant wait to have one down the road. :D

Cheaper manufacturers?

Please let us never forget the absolute turd they produced with Doomsday 😉

But dont just take my word for it. Read the review I wrote on the one at Djurs Sommerland in 2022.

Tigeren
Totally did not expect to like this as much as I did. This is a larger version of a Gyro swing, with lap bars like Goliath at AW. The last time I did a Gyro Swing i felt a bit off colour afterwards, but this was something else. I think the sheer size means the swings are more sustained, and the airtime more drawn out, so you do get a superb sensation of flight and freedom at the top of the swings. I just felt like the overall pacing and mechanics of the ride made this better than any other equivalent i;ve done. 
It also had a well themed queue, perhaps the most elaborate ive seen on a flat ride.
And my first encounter with those infamous counters, but I think it was more for the benefit of the operator since they were still manning the turnstile, you weren’t just being let in unsupervised.

5ad0782d77c0f896b87a413f49114bc2.jpg

93ead347abdb1d2e27ee49920af7ccd2.jpg

1e386caa66ffac88293196bebbbcb3c9.jpg

Bigger pendulum rides aren't always better.  The forces are higher on a smaller pendulum that swings faster through a smaller arc, and there is a faster transition between the positive and negative forces creating a much more intense thrill.

King Claw will feel less forceful than The Claw - even if the actual forces are identical - because they're spread out over a longer arc, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for most people and should result in more people wanting to re-ride it.  It will still be a thrilling and forceful ride, because the larger Intamin models are far superior to their competitors.

I'm glad they stuck with Intamin and are switching up the experience without chasing 'records'.  

3 minutes ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

The only concern I have with this is the cycle times please let there be no seatbelts, Intamin doesn't look like they require them for even their coasters, and from ST and DCR it looks like add way more time to load times (not sure about Claw and similar rides)

Can almost guarantee with a level of certainty that there will be seatbelts as an extra layer of redundancy. 

King Claw will feel less forceful than The Claw - even if the actual forces are identical - because they're spread out over a longer arc

No, see this is the thing. The Intamin one is actively powering it through the swing, so the forces dont let up.

This differs to other similar swinging rides (including even the classic pirate ship) where it gets "pushed" and then continues the swing with its own momentum by gravity.

It's definitely one of those one of those "ride it and see" things.

Fun Fact I heard: Apparently at Liseberg, Loke consistently is rated by guests as their favourite attraction in guest surveys by the park. This is a park that has Helix and Balder....

• Like 2

• Gazza changed the title to King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld
3 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

All this fanfare for a Pendulum ride that still doesn’t swing as high as The Beast…. 

They should have gone real big and went with Zamperla. 

Classic Dreamworld. 

Those Zamperla restraints are genuinely awful for people above 6 foot tall or of a larger build though. They're designed for skinny short folks. I've been on a couple discoverys and being a taller person the restraint dug so far into my shoulders and could barely close properly, it destroyed the experience for me.

Gimme this over Sledgehammer at Luna Park anyday. Intamin over the shoulder lap bars (that are also on Big Dipper and Goliath) are the greatest thing since sliced bread

Having been on Beast a few times I have it on high authority that King Claw will have a better cycle too that doesn't stop right as it starts to get good.

Doomsday was an ABC Rides baby brokered by Intamin. Claw has operated reliably for 20 years and both it and its successor is designed by Intamin themselves. Your point on Doomsday is dribble lol

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

I wonder if village will add anything in retaliation... Maybe they'll get DW scraps and buy the old claw to replace doomsday with.

Although I could see them now seriously replacing doomsday with Dreamworld replacing the Claw 

Greg described Claw in the press conference as having reached end of life, so it won’t be going anywhere other than a scrap heap 

10 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

The fact that we have three travelling rides now that exceed the height of anything that’s in a park is insane. 

Giant Drop would like a word.

9 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

There was no reason Dreamworld couldn’t have bought something bigger. 

No reason that you know of. For all you know Intamin offered them a sizeable discount on a new model because they couldn't provide support to the existing attraction and they got it dirt cheap.

Haha it seemed rather popular at this years Gold Coast Show, but all good. No need to get upset 😊

All the rides are popular at the shows. it's why many folk go to the shows these days - it's certainly not to see the prizewinner of the hoof and hook competition for the vast majority... but for most punters they probably don't even know it's name. Is it 'the beast' ? is it 'jungle action' ? "XXL" ? Or is it "that tall swing ride a bit like the claw we went on last year at Adelaide" ?

The Beast Royal Adelaide Show Setember 2017

Not necessarily seeing as the Booster Maxxx and Sky Flyer XXL stand at 55 metres respectively. 

Of course there are logistics around such purchases and plans. It just slightly seems like a missed opportunity, but it no doubt will be popular. At least Dreamworld are taking steps to evolve the park… the same can’t be said for down the road. 

Quit moving the bar. Beast was your definition, now you're gonna raise the height requirement? Does that mean Beast isn't good now?

YOU think it's a missed opportunity, but we're all well aware that you have certain biases. To repeat the same success they've had with Claw for the past 20 years with a bigger model, more energy efficient, more capacity, less restrictive restraints, a floor that is less prone to errors, more airtime... all of these sound like wins.

16 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Following the QR code at the end of the announcement video:

Media.thumb.jpg.1832dfb700cef5bdb4887790e7494832.jpg

1879733025_Media(1).thumb.jpg.461cf39b682960d59f3afae87f4fccea.jpg

I posted pretty much all of the press-kit, other than the videos.

The videos were:

1. B-roll (non moving) of the current The Claw
  2. Interview with Greg Yong in front of The Claw, talking about the history of the ride and why it is being retired
  3. Liseberg show reel of the same model in operation.

23 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Giant Drop would like a word.

No reason that you know of. For all you know Intamin offered them a sizeable discount on a new model because they couldn't provide support to the existing attraction and they got it dirt cheap.

All the rides are popular at the shows. it's why many folk go to the shows these days - it's certainly not to see the prizewinner of the hoof and hook competition for the vast majority... but for most punters they probably don't even know it's name. Is it 'the beast' ? is it 'jungle action' ? "XXL" ? Or is it "that tall swing ride a bit like the claw we went on last year at Adelaide" ?

The Beast Royal Adelaide Show Setember 2017

Quit moving the bar. Beast was your definition, now you're gonna raise the height requirement? Does that mean Beast isn't good now?

YOU think it's a missed opportunity, but we're all well aware that you have certain biases. To repeat the same success they've had with Claw for the past 20 years with a bigger model, more energy efficient, more capacity, less restrictive restraints, a floor that is less prone to errors, more airtime... all of these sound like wins.

I posted pretty much all of the press-kit, other than the videos.

The videos were:

1. B-roll (non moving) of the current The Claw
  2. Interview with Greg Yong in front of The Claw, talking about the history of the ride and why it is being retired
  3. Liseberg show reel of the same model in operation.

“The Beast isn’t good now?”

I’ve worked with the machine for 8 years now and it’s been interesting to see its following and popularity gain over this time. I had nothing to do with the wording that is on the ride, you’d have to talk to KMG about the theming. 

I don’t know why things cannot be discussed without such a high level of defensiveness. Some of these responses come across as almost sulking. Probably why I visit this place once every few months to read the tantrums.

Also nice photo of the ride at Adelaide…. Don’t miss going there. That’s for sure. 

Edited by HussRainbow87
More content.

34 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

... but for most punters they probably don't even know it's name. Is it 'the beast' ? is it 'jungle action' ? "XXL" ? 

You raise a good point.

A lot of the backdrops for Carnival rides seem like they were done by boomers doing a design brief over the phone.

"Oh yeah mate, I heard the kids like Jack Sparrow and the Avengers and Tupac, can you airbrush us up a backdrop with all of them on it? Cheers mate".

“The Beast isn’t good now?”

I’ve worked with the machine for 8 years now and it’s been interesting to see its following and popularity gain over this time. I had nothing to do with the wording that is on the ride, you’d have to talk to KMG about the theming. 

don’t know why things cannot be discussed without such a high level of defensiveness. 

Have you ridden the ride DW is getting though?
You're the one that opened by saying it was a bad choice.

It wouldn't just be me though, plenty of people over in Europe will have had the chance to ride Swingi/Loke/Tigeren, and also the KMG at any of the fairs they have everywhere, and of course there are the big Zamperla ones at a few of the Parques Reunindos properties.

And consistently, the feedback you get is that the Intamin one is superb.
Are they wrong for preferencing better forces and less nausea over sheer height?

Edited by Gazza

The experience I had on The Beast, if you want to compare it to an Intamin Gyro , the ride experience, feels like a Chinese knock-off.  The forces feel nothing like a Intamin Gyro.  Besides the rides having the same swinging motion, I class the rides as 2 totally different ride types.

• Like 3