King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld

Tricoart

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Now that it’s been confirmed, I wonder if your overlay is right? I’d imagine it’ll swing the same way it currently does?

Google Maps doesn't have an overhead of a 42m Gyro Swing that's the exact same scale as The Claws is, but from an overhead of Loke at Linnanmaki at the closest scale (I believe it's a bit smaller than it would be IRL), the supports are sprawled out significantly further than The Claw's are. So, if it were to be in the same exact orientation, it would still encroach on Shockwave (which clearance wouldn't allow for without it's removal). If it was at the same rotation, but the platform was shifted further towards the path, it could work. If not, it would need to be rotated.

Keep in mind, these are without any ride buildings or taking the swing clearance into account, it's just the ride hardware & platform.

Shockwave.thumb.png.79706c1d610e24c09c0477883e426bc7.png
(Uses same platform location)

Pathway.thumb.png.0e03a638c13684128ef7b86789f36bbf.png
(Shifted platform location)

Rotated.thumb.png.ab6d97a4f16fb8caae5bbc06e451f321.png
(Uses same platform location)

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

You raise a good point.

A lot of the backdrops for Carnival rides seem like they were done by boomers doing a design brief over the phone.

"Oh yeah mate, I heard the kids like Jack Sparrow and the Avengers and Tupac, can you airbrush us up a backdrop with all of them on it? Cheers mate".

Have you ridden the ride DW is getting though?
You're the one that opened by saying it was a bad choice.

It wouldn't just be me though, plenty of people over in Europe will have had the chance to ride Swingi/Loke/Tigeren, and also the KMG at any of the fairs they have everywhere, and of course there are the big Zamperla ones at a few of the Parques Reunindos properties.

And consistently, the feedback you get is that the Intamin one is superb.
Are they wrong for preferencing better forces and less nausea over sheer height?

Never said it was bad, just wish our parks would be a bit more ambitious. I was thrilled when the Vortex was purchased, only to be disappointed by the worlds worst ride cycle. 

The hate for travelling rides on this forum is next level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Never said it was bad, just wish our parks would be a bit more ambitious. I was thrilled when the Vortex was purchased, only to be disappointed by the worlds worst ride cycle. 

The hate for travelling rides on this forum is next level. 

Vortex is a flop even without the shit cycles.  I've only ridden it once as it's always broken when I go to SW.

3 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

“The Beast isn’t good now?”

I’ve worked with the machine for 8 years now and it’s been interesting to see its following and popularity gain over this time.

I'm being ridiculous to highlight a point. You yourself argued that beast was better because it was 3 metres taller. When confronted with an alternate reality where if King Claw was the same height as beast, and asked if that would make it good, you countered that Sky Flyer XXL was even taller. Implying that it still wouldn't make it good.

I was simply inferring, by your own (irrational) logic - that since Beast was shorter than SkyFlyer XXL, that must mean Beast isn't good either.

2 hours ago, Tricoart said:

the supports are sprawled out significantly further than The Claw's are

image.thumb.png.ed2977fe3b62d60f28a9a297361581a6.png

According to the technical data - the footprint is actually smaller, isn't it?

1 hour ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Never said it was bad, just wish our parks would be a bit more ambitious.

You are correct. You never said it was bad.

1. You bemoaned the amount of fanfare for something that isn't as high as the beast
  2. Argued they should've chosen Zamperla instead.
  3. Suggested that the priority was catering to fat people at the cost of providing a "premiere attraction that is unique"
  4. claimed all Australia's parks are embarassing - again arguing it's insane that 3 travelling rides are taller
  5. Chipped the park for an announcement made by the manufacturer
  6. Argued Dreamworld has no excuse to not build a bigger attraction
  7. Argued that even if King Claw was as tall as the beast (a bar you set) it still wouldn't be good because Booster Maxxx and Sky Flyer XXL are still taller
  8. Proceeded to shit on Claw on the basis that Doomsday was a lemon

On the subject of manufacturer issues - remind me again why The Beast no longer appears in the Adelaide Show?

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy
  • Love it! 1

10 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'm being ridiculous to highlight a point. You yourself argued that beast was better because it was 3 metres taller. When confronted with an alternate reality where if King Claw was the same height as beast, and asked if that would make it good, you countered that Sky Flyer XXL was even taller. Implying that it still wouldn't make it good.

I was simply inferring, by your own (irrational) logic - that since Beast was shorter than SkyFlyer XXL, that must mean Beast isn't good either.

image.thumb.png.ed2977fe3b62d60f28a9a297361581a6.png

You are correct. You never said it was bad.

1. You bemoaned the amount of fanfare for something that isn't as high as the beast
  2. Argued they should've chosen Zamperla instead.
  3. Suggested that the priority was catering to fat people at the cost of providing a "premiere attraction that is unique"
  4. claimed all Australia's parks are embarassing - again arguing it's insane that 3 travelling rides are taller
  5. Chipped the park for an announcement made by the manufacturer
  6. Argued Dreamworld has no excuse to not build a bigger attraction
  7. Argued that even if King Claw was as tall as the beast (a bar you set) it still wouldn't be good because Booster Maxxx and Sky Flyer XXL are still taller
  8. Proceeded to shit on Claw on the basis that Doomsday was a lemon

On the subject of manufacturer issues - remind me again why The Beast no longer appears in the Adelaide Show?

I’d love to know what your insider information is as to why the ride doesn’t attend Adelaide Show. But I can assure you, that there is no manufacturer issues, and it was dealt with legally. 

I think it’s time I bid farewell to this place. It’s too depressing. Thanks for the memories. 

18 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

I’d love to know what your insider information is as to why the ride doesn’t attend Adelaide Show. But I can assure you, that there is no manufacturer issues, and it was dealt with legally. 

I think it’s time I bid farewell to this place. It’s too depressing. Thanks for the memories. 

Ohh the SA regulator is a whole different kettle of fish. Particularly how the transportables are considered versus the other states. 

Edited by Levram__

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Those are comparing their 2 modern standard heights. And, in their cases, I believe ‘ground space required’ is referring to ‘size of concrete poured for ride platform’, with the smaller model’s ‘ground space’ including the entire length and width of supports, but the larger model only being the ride platform.

IMG_8746.thumb.jpeg.01d37472a8f8f895d2d2a9dcd2c7f101.jpeg
Smaller model (26m, Goliath)

IMG_8745.thumb.jpeg.857ad9a9929e6a15a8ba7ae05b0663ee.jpegLarger model (42m, Loke)

And then, comparing those 2 models to the older gen Claw, the supports of both newer types sprawl significantly wider than the Claw’s do, as the newer models are thinner at the top, meaning their supports have to be angled further outward for clearance/structural integrity, forming more of a ‘pyramid’ than the Claw’s more compact overall ‘wedge’.

IMG_8747.thumb.jpeg.8ebcbd84d423b1b8d1af477fd2a934f0.jpeg

Or, from a front-on view that shows what I mean without the perspective issues of Google Maps getting in the way, Old Gen (Claw):

IMG_8749.thumb.jpeg.28beaa01e73b5b0483da8ea86479d5d8.jpeg

VS New Gen (Goliath, same height & seating capacity as Claw):

IMG_8748.thumb.jpeg.a9e4bbb1c0450bfbdfcca00217c7fb61.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

My understanding is that the Adelaide regulator requires the restraints to have seatbelts, and the manufacturer won't support those additions, no?

54 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Youve been around here more than 20 years. While it's changed names over the years, it's called Parkz. Not Showz.

• Love it! 1

Dreamworld hit it out the park with this one. Framing it like the monorail closure video, then the whole end bit feeling almost exactly like something someone on here'd make as a joke… points for creativity

Edit: It also includes concept art of King Claw & Jungle Rush in the background

IMG_8760.thumb.jpeg.22dd6977945bfee164bc5f42d914662e.jpeg

And the press kit link has a new file, with a barcode that leads to this link: https://27t42s98k.monster

IMG_8757.thumb.jpeg.20945a6570dc1e4fabb6383d4113ff92.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 3

They have done a good job with the marketing, the jabs at Village are funny and the former Ardent, hopefully they can keep it up

It may not be something big like Jungle Rush but at least its a good replacement for the former Claw

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, New display name said:

Didn't DW blame guest feedback for not replacing the Wipeout?  I thought DW were having a dig at themselves.

Not that I remember. “Claw Cove” is definitely a dig at themselves w/ Wipeout, but the “guest feedback” comment and the first half of their ad being a parody of SW’s Monorail closure video shows they’re having a dig at theme park players in the GC generally, not just themselves.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Didn't DW blame guest feedback for not replacing the Wipeout?  I thought DW were having a dig at themselves.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Not that I remember. “Claw Cove” is definitely a dig at themselves w/ Wipeout, but the “guest feedback” comment and the first half of their ad being a parody of SW’s Monorail closure video shows they’re having a dig at theme park players in the GC generally, not just themselves.

The original 'Guest Feedback' response to justify something incredibly dumb was replacing Wipeout with shaded seating.  Hence the 'claw cove' and 'shaded seating' pitch.  It's a way for the new DW leadership to show that they've changed, and that they understand the dumb decisions of the past and empathise with guests about the stupidity of it all.

It's kind of cheesy, but it's clever.  If people are seeing it as a dig at VRTP, it's probably because they're making the same dumb decisions as the former DW leadership.

It's also great that DW haven't cheaped out on a Zamperla model, but have improved the experience by offering a taller/faster ride, with more capacity to reduce wait times.

Fingers crossed they're also talking to Intamin about Motocoaster.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, New display name said:

find it a bit strange when you just spent a bucket load of money on 2 new rides, that all your marketing isn't aimed at them

They’re only pushing KC as it’s HOT news now and JR/RT aren’t in a complete enough state to promote fully yet.

I guarantee in the lead up to summer (and an opening date is confirmed internally) they will market the sh!t out of JR/RT opening and you’ll see it everywhere, especially if you’re a GC local

Currently it's now "don't miss out riding your old favourite this summer", rather than beating to death Jungle Rush for months, making people sick of it. 

There was heaps of backlash to closing rides with no notice, so they're addressing that too. 

Between the two they've got a good mix of marketing for the summer holiday period. 

3 minutes ago, Ranger said:

So, in general, what do we think about the announcement? Worth the fanfare?

All of Dreamworld’s promotional materials? Yes. Flying Greg Yong to Europe to announce it at the IAAPA Intamin Booth? Not really, no (but it shows they’ve got a good relationship ig, so hopefully that’ll be fruitful into the future).

Edited by Tricoart