New Intamin Coming To Dreamworld?

Tricoart

The 2024 IAAPA Expo Europe has an Intamin press conference scheduled, with its description confirming the announcement of an attraction for Dreamworld.

IMG_8633.thumb.jpeg.af571430382bdfe1cf6f0e4bb3ad88dc.jpeg

(From IAAPA Expo’s Website)

Could be Motocoaster related, could be that water ride Dreamworld needs, but so long as it isn’t a Twin Hammer, a new Intamin is pretty exciting!

Edited by Tricoart
  • Love it! 2

• Tricoart changed the title to New Intamin Coming To Dreamworld?

I’ll also throw in a Claw replacement/renovation into the mix (it is nearly 20 years old and markings have been seen around it)

just as a thought - who is making the new vintage cars? Intamin has made Indy style EMV’s in the past, so the technology to make tracked rides like that exists within the company. I’m pretty sure we haven’t seen those vehicles yet (with all the attention going to jungle rush) and there’s been no information as to who is making the ride so it could be that.

Is a bit early for another capex project me thinks. It’s pretty clear that a water ride of some sort will be the next cab off the rank though.

Edited by Baconjack

The fact that this ride announcement has its own dedicated press conference at IAPPA, this is going to be good! I can’t imagine it’ll be something related to Motocoaster or any existing attractions because is that worthy of an announcement at a global event. Can’t wait to see what this is!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Ash said:

Fingers crossed it’s some sort of water coaster to replace Motorcoaster, that would directly tie in with the Jungle theme 

I somewhat doubt it will be a water coaster. Although it would be cool, I feel like if it is anything water related, DW doesn't need another coaster, with them already having 3 major ones, one kiddie coaster, and a brand new coaster being built, which will soon total to 5. Besides, we already have Storm at SeaWorld. I could see some sort of log flume however being built.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:

The 2024 IAAPA Expo Europe has an Intamin press conference scheduled, with its description confirming the announcement of an attraction for Dreamworld.

IMG_8633.thumb.jpeg.af571430382bdfe1cf6f0e4bb3ad88dc.jpeg

(From IAAPA Expo’s Website)

Could be Motocoaster related, could be that water ride Dreamworld needs, but so long as it isn’t a Twin Hammer, a new Intamin is pretty exciting!

This is not what I was expecting! I'm actually really excited! Only 13 days... Maybe there will be a two ride deal, moto replacement and claw upgrade? They left the tower of terror building... Maybe we could see something utilise that?

New water ride - still too soon? The dust still hasn’t settled on that incident so perhaps yes, too soon.
Whilst I’d love to see Australia’s first Giga Coaster with massive camel backs and airtime galore, Greg told me that new flat rides were coming soon after Jungle Rush. A look at Intamin’s ride offerings outside of coasters and water rides doesn’t give much room to speculate. For other rides they already have a gyro swing, drop tower, flying theatre, and Jungle Rush will fill the immersive dark ride void whilst a suspended twin hammer will remain solely MW’s curse. A pirate ship would be unlikely and the Tourbillon is both mechanically problematic and not particularly popular in the few installations out there. 
My money is on an eccentric Ferris wheel which Intamin calls a coaster wheel. That fills a huge gap in all the GC theme parks lineup - an observation ride - plus provides two vastly different ride experiences in one installation. With few installations of that ride type around the world, it can easily provide Dreamworld with gloating rights by building the world’s tallest eccentric wheel, a record which is unlikely to be bested anytime soon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuart MD said:

The dust still hasn’t settled on that incident so perhaps yes, too soon.

It's been 8 years. The park has been through a pandemic, finalised the inquest, built a memorial, built two new rollercoasters and is in desperate need of a wet ride with the loss of both thunder river and also log ride - the closure of which was not directly related to the incident. And bear in mind an announcement of a new ride now means a build is probably 12-18 months off.

How long should they wait before it's not 'too soon' in your mind? 

11 minutes ago, Stuart MD said:

With few installations of that ride type around the world,

The release says 'new ride' so all of the existing models you've referenced are unlikely to play a factor.

I don't think there's any chance its an upgrade to motocoaster or claw. It is possible a new ride will replace one of these, but the net ride count remaining the same isn't desirable. Claw is at the 20 year mark, so anything is possible. The line markings near claw are interesting, but may be unrelated. It would be disappointing for them to cram even more shit into ocean parade when they have the entirely vacant log ride land to utilise, to provide more balance to the park.

I'd like to see them put something new over that side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

“It's been 8 years...

How long should they wait before it's not 'too soon' in your mind?”

It’s not about my mind, I’d love to see a wet ride, but it’s only been two years since the settlement with the families and emergency services whilst some legal matters are ongoing with former employees. So that’s why I say the dust hasn’t settled.

“The release says 'new ride' so all of the existing models you've referenced are unlikely to play a factor.”

It will be a new ride for Dreamworld, and unlikely to be a new ride model as I doubt DW would be interested in being a Guinea pig for intamin again. I referenced those rides simply as a means of ruling them out of contention given Intamin’s current products compared to DW’s current offerings.  

“I don't think there's any chance it’s an upgrade to motocoaster or claw.”

Agreed, and I don’t believe DW would sell a moto refurb/re-theme or Claw upgrade/replacement like-for-like as a “new ride”. The Claw still has excellent up-time so I think that’s safe for some time yet.

Though a refurb & returned of Moto with new trains and a slight boost to the launch is desperately needed sooner rather than later, but that’s something they could knock over at its next scheduled maintenance.

“It would be disappointing for them to cram even more shit into ocean parade..”

There is still an enormous plot of land vacant (used for some storage currently) where the Thunderbolt was located so that could easily be used to extend ocean parade to add new flat rides.

..”when they have the entirely vacant log ride land to utilise, to provide more balance to the park. I'd like to see them put something new over that side.”

That area definitely needs some redevelopment.

Edited by Stuart MD

There is a few possibilities that are in my head, a new log flume, a first of it's kind flat ride, and a thrill coaster. 

I doubt it will be a thrill coaster. Steel Taipan, investments wise, was not that long ago, and they are yet to complete their new for 2024 family coaster. 

A flat ride is possible. Less desirable for me personally, as I do not really like flat rides. But Dreamworld need their ride count to go up. 

A new water based ride would my bet, as others have pointed out. It just makes sense for Dreamworld to be keen to replace what is a gap in their line up, now that they no longer have either a rapids or a flume. I have doubts over a Intamin water coaster, but you never know. 

Intamin is dedicating space in their booth, which is designed to advertise to other theme park operators. Which is what makes me really excited for this announcement. I just have doubts Intamin would want make the announcement at their booth if it wasn't something semi-big.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

Top Thrill Motocoaster 2 : Intamin's Revenge - with a top hat soaring over the Giant Drop, even Mick Doohan wouldn't be brave enough.

In all seriousness, this is a big surprise. The words seem carefully chosen "new ride" - that will fuel intense speculation until IAAPA. I wonder if they're getting a new Intamin prototype disasterpiece. It might even be something really good.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I tend to agree with what others are saying above, Intamin is not likely to be announcing something minor such as a MC refit, unless it is with some massive new innovation that they have come up with or if it was massively changing a la TTD. 

To me this reads as either a completely new flat ride not seen before or it's a new coaster, be it a record breaker or again something completely new.

With regards to a new water ride, i'm sceptical of this only because Intamin lists a number of water ride models on their website, some of which haven't been built yet (that i'm aware of) like the Giga and Mega Splash models. I don't think they'd waste a press conference on announcing that someone has final bought a model they've had available.

If it were to be a water ride my thoughts looking at the Intamin website would be perhaps a Slow Boat ride using the old Murrissippi river and themed around the new area, though how this is worthy of a press conference I have no idea LOL

it’s a 25 minute press conference at a world expo, correct me if i’m wrong but this is the first Australian attraction to be announced in this way. it won’t be a retrofit of The Claw or MC, unless like @DJKostyasaid it’s something never done before like TT2. my guess is it’ll either be a big new coaster, a first of its kind flat ride or something of big significance to the industry. 

Edited by Levi

3 hours ago, Stuart MD said:

It will be a new ride for Dreamworld, and unlikely to be a new ride model as I doubt DW would be interested in being a Guinea pig for intamin again.

A new addition to the park of an existing established ride model does not warrant a 30 minute press conference at IAAPA

• Like 1

Yeah, being that it is presented at IAAPA by Intamin, it means it is something of significance to Intamin. What that is is up to debate, but a well-established ride type seems unlikely, especially given all the innovation Intamin are doing that could have been chosen to highlight instead (Gold Rush, Fast & Furious: Hollywood Drift, Space Mountain @ Tokyo Disneyland, etc.).

Edited by Tricoart