New Intamin Coming To Dreamworld?

Tricoart

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

could we possibly be getting a 2 for 1 announcement. King Claw as per the trademark is clearly happening in the short-medium term, but maybe that’s just the appetiser to the main course…. 

considering we got Kenny's dreamland and Rivertown at the same time, I wouldn't put it out of question. Possibly a replacement for Claw and a new coaster possibly?

15 minutes ago, TBoy said:

considering we got Kenny's dreamland and Rivertown at the same time, I wouldn't put it out of question. Possibly a replacement for Claw and a new coaster possibly?

I feel like that's more reason for them not to be doing that. Yes, they are performing better financially after these additions, and they still have more to go, but Steel Taipan > Train Upgrade > Twilight Trail Reopening > Dreamland > Giant Drop Upgrade > Steel Taipan Train (Spinning Seat) > Rivertown > Tiger Island Upgrade > Claw Upgrade is already a big 3-4 year run before another major project like a new ground-up coaster/water ride, not to mention that their cash reserves aren't infinite (IIRC their latest report had $20mil allocated for park improvements). They'll get a new coaster (or, hopefully, that water ride) at some point in the future, but with the Claw trademark & the markings around it's site, I think it's safer to hedge your bets on the Intamin announcement being related solely to that, with the possibility of Dreamworld getting it as part of a delayed double deal, with something more substantial coming 2026 or later.

Edited by Tricoart

33 minutes ago, New display name said:

Don't you think, marketing a new major ride, before opening up what you have just spent 50m on, a bit backwards? @Brad2912  I've put off trips, to wait for a new ride to open.

But Disney just announced 4 years worth of new rides? Your in the other threads comparing our parks to Disney, so why is it a bad idea?

Edited by Ashley Jeffery

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:

I can’t compare ride footprints right now ‘cause I’m not at my PC, but is there any possibility that this is their announcement at IAAPA because it’s a scaled up model to the tune of Zamperla’s Giga Discovery, maybe to the point that it usurps their height record? Could a ride of that size fit nearby where the Claw currently stands, and could it match the location of the sighted markings?

Back at my PC, and though I don't have access to the locations of the markers (or have seen them myself to get a bearing on where they may be), a Giga Discovery-sized pendulum would definitely fit within the Claw's plot of land, but to have the same rough load-unload platform location without impeding on Shockwave, it would need to be oriented so it swings towards Main Street instead of perpendicularly to it, as shown.

1340807641_Screenshot2024-09-11223915.thumb.png.9e58a4e6309323c312b37b894d4b2758.png

So, before we know for sure what it'll be, a Giga Discovery competitor that's likely slightly taller than them seems like a good bet, so Intamin can tout the 'tallest pendulum' record that Zamperla (and Six Flags) have been using for their own. That'd mean a max height over 173ft, which is almost double that of Claw Jr, and marginally taller than Intamin's current tallest offered Gyro Swing model (136ft).

Edit:

3 hours ago, Tricoart said:

I feel like that's more reason for them not to be doing that. Yes, they are performing better financially after these additions, and they still have more to go, but Steel Taipan > Train Upgrade > Twilight Trail Reopening > Dreamland > Giant Drop Upgrade > Steel Taipan Train (Spinning Seat) > Rivertown > Tiger Island Upgrade > Claw Upgrade is already a big 3-4 year run before another major project like a new ground-up coaster/water ride, not to mention that their cash reserves aren't infinite (IIRC their latest report had $20mil allocated for park improvements). They'll get a new coaster (or, hopefully, that water ride) at some point in the future, but with the Claw trademark & the markings around it's site, I think it's safer to hedge your bets on the Intamin announcement being related solely to that, with the possibility of Dreamworld getting it as part of a delayed double deal, with something more substantial coming 2026 or later.

Also, adding to this, I feel it's worth mentioning that the IAAPA description says verbatim:

Intamin will announce a new ride in collaboration with DreamWorld Australia!

It doesn't say multiple rides in collaboration with Dreamworld, but it also doesn't leave out the possibility of other ride announcements in their conference that don't yet have installations in the pipeline. It could be the case that their conference will include multiple new models/attractions, with one of them being this presumed 'Giga Gyro Swing', with it being singled out in their description as it's the only one with an installation already lined up via Dreamworld.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tricoart said:

The King Claw project you would think would be announced for a 3rd quarter/late 2025 opening, so IF it was to be a double announcement, I wouldn’t be expecting the “major” ride to be for a timeline prior to late 2026 anyway 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Especially given all the innovation Intamin are doing that could have been chosen to highlight instead (Gold Rush, Fast & Furious: Hollywood Drift, Space Mountain @ Tokyo Disneyland, etc.).

It's funny that you mention these examples. Gold Rush isn't huge by any means and has already opened and soaked up industry attention at this point. Disney is notorious for not allowing manufacturers/contractors advertise their projects in their own portfolio and would rather announce it on their own platform (something Universal is also inclined to do).

Anyways the Goods & Services listing is def an indication;

image.thumb.png.ab6f1249cd39da23a76710da746fb4be.png

Also I seem to recall this being a thing; 

Do IAPPA announcements regularly make the Gold Coast news even when they're relevant to a Gold Coast park? And even if they do does a 2-minute air filler puff-piece really stick in the mind of your average Aussie Joe Public for longer than a day before their busy trying to find their next hit of ice to take the edge off the fact that they live on the Gold Coast. Snark aside, this thread feels really "oh my god nothing happens in Australian theme park news so let's grasp at straws to fill the void before we fade into irrelevance".

To the topic at hand though; Intamin is a company that meant little to me as a kid and teenager as theme park enthusiast because I was way more excited about B&M and what they were doing (I mean sure Kingda Ka was impressive by the numbers but ultimately looked pretty ordinary), as an adult RMC took the position as most interesting because of their conversions and wild elements. Now, with rides like VelociCoaster and Panthenon not to mention whatever ridiculousness is Falcon's Flight in Qiddiya, I'm pretty interested if we actually get something record breaking again because it's happened before - obviously not height or speed or drop since the aforementioned is under construction. So what am I saying? 'King Claw', yeah that's probably a thing and maybe that'll be it for us, because maybe this 25-minute presentation is EVERYTHING Intamin is doing for the next year not just in Australia, and 'King Claw' will be like a couple minutes of that whole presentation. I'd be happy to be proven wrong because every announcement every Australian park has done since Rivals has left me entirely uninterested from an enthusiast point of view.

9 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Back at my PC, and though I don't have access to the locations of the markers (or have seen them myself to get a bearing on where they may be), a Giga Discovery-sized pendulum would definitely fit within the Claw's plot of land, but to have the same rough load-unload platform location without impeding on Shockwave, it would need to be oriented so it swings towards Main Street instead of perpendicularly to it, as shown.

1340807641_Screenshot2024-09-11223915.thumb.png.9e58a4e6309323c312b37b894d4b2758.png

So, before we know for sure what it'll be, a Giga Discovery competitor that's likely slightly taller than them seems like a good bet, so Intamin can tout the 'tallest pendulum' record that Zamperla (and Six Flags) have been using for their own. That'd mean a max height over 173ft, which is almost double that of Claw Jr, and marginally taller than Intamin's current tallest offered Gyro Swing model (136ft).

I honestly Don't know what to feel about this. As long as they keep the claw's name (King Claw is fine too), and they keep the theming it would be fine. I doubt they would do this within the next year though. As @Tricoart said, I would also expect this to be a 2026 thing. It would be cool to have another record at Dreamworld though, and it would definitely boost their advertisments. I do worry though about the size of it. It may just be me, but it seems a little big. Imagine going past the motorway and you see the claw raising it's arm above gold coaster.

16 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

As many have said I really doubt Intamin is dedicating a slot at a major international industry event to say “hey we’re replacing a gyro swing with another gyro swing at a park in Australia”. 

could we possibly be getting a 2 for 1 announcement. King Claw as per the trademark is clearly happening in the short-medium term, but maybe that’s just the appetiser to the main course…. 

@Brad2912 your defiantly on the money here, the announcement is believed to be something far bigger than a gyro swing replacement. 

The Claw now approaching its 20 year anniversary would require either one of two things to occur. A 10 yearly inspection to be completed over the course of the next 12 months which would be a significant closure period. Or depending on the capital spend required as part of the ongoing R&M (10 yearly) it might make sense commercially to replace/upgrade the asset, the latter of the two defiantly being the option undertaken. These considerations where also hinted at in the recent FY earnings call. 

My money however is on a high thrill new coaster....

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Levram__ said:

@Brad2912 your defiantly on the money here, the announcement is believed to be something far bigger than a gyro swing replacement

I’m not even convinced I’m on the money, just spitballing what may be a possible scenario - and a favoured one.

7 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

maybe this 25-minute presentation is EVERYTHING Intamin is doing for the next year not just in Australia, and 'King Claw

It is listed specifically as a press conference regarding Intamin and Dreamworld. If it was a “whole of business” press conference and they were randomly going to choose one theme park in the world to name drop in their press conference listing - I’m doubting it would be Dreamworld, and I reckon that presentation would be far longer than 25mins give the projects Intamin has going globally 

1 hour ago, Levram__ said:

@Brad2912 your defiantly on the money here, the announcement is believed to be something far bigger than a gyro swing replacement. 

The Claw now approaching its 20 year anniversary would require either one of two things to occur. A 10 yearly inspection to be completed over the course of the next 12 months which would be a significant closure period. Or depending on the capital spend required as part of the ongoing R&M (10 yearly) it might make sense commercially to replace/upgrade the asset, the latter of the two defiantly being the option undertaken. These considerations where also hinted at in the recent FY earnings call. 

My money however is on a high thrill new coaster....

From my understanding, just because the Claw is 20 years old does not mean it is due for its second 10 yearly inspection.

The legislative requirement asks for 10-year inspections from last major inspection, from the Code of practice 2023. (an engineer can also override the interval between inspection)

The new legislative requirements were written because of the accident at DW.

When was the last major inspection?

@New display name you're correct it does form part of the new legislation and the code of practice. However the other factor at play with some of these older devices is if a 10 yearly has even been completed previously. The amusement device will have most likely have had, and satisfied all of its OEM milestone inspections over the course of its life, but the level and detail required from a 10 yearly may not have been met. 

Also an engineer may suggest a change to the interval between inspections, however that would also require support from the OEM and agreeance by QLD WPHS engineering as part of a licensed major amusement facility. Specifically for QLD. This obviously differs state by state. 

2 hours ago, ShakeShack said:

Would this not be a positive thing?

It would be cool, but next time you go past the motorway, just look at the gold coaster. It will be bigger than that. However, I’m just worried it may pull a lot of attention, and IMO, I like it because it’s not normally too busy. With everyone knowing it exists, and with it being the largest gyro swing in the world, it may become one of the busiest rides.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

From my understanding, just because the Claw is 20 years old does not mean it is due for its second 10 yearly inspection.

The legislative requirement asks for 10-year inspections from last major inspection, from the Code of practice 2023. (an engineer can also override the interval between inspection)

The new legislative requirements were written because of the accident at DW.

When was the last major inspection?

I’d say it was when the ride was repainted and given enhancements in 2014.

That would make it 10 years since the last inspection but not sure if it was a ‘major inspection’, but given the nature of ride repaints I’d make an educated guess that the structure got a solid look.

Edited by Baconjack

11 minutes ago, HarryHeHe8 said:

with it being the largest gyro swing in the world, it may become one of the busiest rides.

Rivals is seen as one of the best Mack Hypers out there, and it barely pulls in the YouTubers, let alone Joe Public from around the world.

A big Gyro is a claim to fame, but its more likely if it proves popular parks in other regions would build similar products - they'll be signing up to buy it if its successful. It's not going to result in a pendulum ride being the most popular in the park.

Just now, New display name said:

@BaconjackWhat adds to the mix is after the accident DW claimed to thoroughly inspect every ride before re-opening them.  I wonder if the inspections were completed to the major inspection standard, or to DW's standard.  🤷‍♀️

There wasn't enough time for a full 10 year teardown on everything, but your implication that they fudged something after such an incident is a little distasteful. I've no doubt everything would have conformed to a manufacturer's annual inspection requirements and would have been overseen by externals. 

Here we are again reagitating years old incidents that nobody took issue with at the time...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

There wasn't enough time for a full 10 year teardown on everything, but your implication that they fudged something after such an incident is a little distasteful. I've no doubt everything would have conformed to a manufacturer's annual inspection requirements and would have been overseen by externals. 

Here we are again reagitating years old incidents that nobody took issue with at the time...

Thank you very much but II never said DW fudged anything and never implied it.

14 minutes ago, New display name said:

I wonder if the inspections were completed to the major inspection standard, or to DW's standard

In that case I'll withdraw my remarks and apologise profusely for my assumption.
Dreamworld standards aren't a thing, and the coroner's inquest made clear the park's methods weren't up to standards so the use of that phrase implied something 'dodgy'.
I would have thought manufacturer standards and major inspection standards would be the two different levels that the rides could have been assessed under, and presumably without a teardown - they'd have followed the manufacturer's annual inspection standards?

What I was referring to, or trying to say, more to the point is, because the standards weren't in place when DW reopened the rides, the work DW competed (other people completed on their behalf), did they cover the new standard requirements for a major inspection.  If it did, The Claw wouldn't be up for a major inspection.