Could Someone Give me Advice on the Future of Theme Parks in Australia?

Hello there,

As a long time theme park enthusiast; I have been following the developments in the Australian theme park scene with great interest. With recent changes and challenges facing our beloved parks; I wanted to open up a discussion on the future of theme parks in Australia.

From my observations; many parks are investing in new attractions and experiences to draw visitors. For instance; the recent expansion at Dreamworld and the introduction of new rides at Sea World have been quite exciting. Although; I cannot help but wonder if these changes are enough to keep pace with evolving visitor expectations and competition from international destinations.

Additionally; the impact of the pandemic has been significant. While we have seen parks adapt with safety measures and online ticketing; I am curious about how they plan to recover and innovate moving forward. Do you think we will see more collaboration between parks or perhaps new partnerships with entertainment brands to enhance the visitor experience?🤔

Are there any upcoming attractions or events you are particularly excited about? What do you think parks can do to improve their offerings?🤔

Also, I have gone through this post; https://www.ibisworld.com/au/industry/amusement-parks-and-centres-minitab-operation/665 which definitely helped me out a lot.

It would be great to get insights from fellow park enthusiasts and see if we share similar thoughts or have different perspectives on this topic.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.😇

Sounds like you have a tafe project you need help with….

You’ll find answers to plenty of your questions by doing some keyword searches on the forums as a lot of it has been discussed. 

you can also get real world data and analytics from Coast Entertainments most recent FY reporting 

• Like 1

I myself have Luna Park Sydney as my local park, so the introduction of Boomerang, Big Dipper and Sledgehammer was huge for me. Never thought I would be so close to an Intamin coaster in my life! I think as Aussie enthusiasts, not only is it harder to get to other places in the world to pursue our passion, but it is also harder for other enthusiasts worldwide (for instance 7hrs from London to America, 16-20 hours from London to Australia).

I remember other enthusiasts on youtube announcing a trip to Australia because of the recent developments, and the massive curiosity of DC Rivals helped quite a lot, and it sounded like they were talking about taking a trip to Mars with the way they spoke😅 I believe we are just so separated from the world’s best parks compared to say Europe or America. However, this also taught me how powerful just one new big attraction is for our tourism. Saw a lot of American enthusiasts on one of my most recent visits to Movie World!

I am happy that parks around Australia are starting to introduce new world-class experiences. Still waiting for a B&M and/or an RMC! But seriously, the world of Oz and Jungle Expedition are really good investments, pushing the overall full-package experiences envelope further than I have seen previously.

In my personal opinion, I believe that because we have not been an amusement/theme park-heavy country, the demand, cultural significance, and enthusiasm for such is markedly lower than elsewhere. If I talk to anyone from Europe or America, they instantly light up when talking about their local parks, even when they aren’t enthusiasts. Most people I know in Sydney haven’t been to Luna Park since they were children! I definitely hope that we even see new parks start to pop up in the future, grow a new generation of love for such attractions.

Anyways, that’s where my head space has been in recent years on the past, present, and future of Australian parks. Covid really did a number on parks, and I was even a ride operator right before they shut down, definitely a scary time. However, I think the future of Australian parks is brighter than ever with these new investments and expansions!