Melbourne New Theme Park in 2027?

It seems there is a lot happening in Docklands, Melbourne, with plans for a new theme park launching soon...?

Disneyland is dead, but could Sonic revive Melbourne’s ghostland Docklands?
“The proposal boasts Sonic World as “an ambitious and transformative indoor theme park and hotel set to redefine entertainment in Melbourne’s Docklands.”

“Covering 300,000 square meters, Sonic World will feature more than 50 attractions, including roller coasters, immersive dark rides, and cutting-edge VR/AR experiences,” a release boasted.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/victoria/disneyland-is-dead-but-could-sonic-revive-melbournes-ghostland-docklands/news-story/44af16c044e0f8c43567820692858abd

Edited by Jacksonxx
  • Love it! 1

• Jacksonxx changed the title to Melbourne New Theme Park in 2027?

I'd honestly take this as with a Sifto of salt until we see applications happen. Otherwise we're going to get hyped up over yet another:

Wonderland 2.0

Habitat Waterford

Cairns Waterpark

Chinese themed park in Wyong

Whatever that Aussie world one from like 15 years ago was

That other Melbourne idea from like 10 years ago

Also, the link is paywalled.

• Like 2

This is probably the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve heard of this rumour over the past year.

As someone who engages in borderline investigative journalist behaviour when it comes to the topic of Sega theme parks, it is true that the mob operating the Sega theme parks in Japan (not Sega themselves) who have the rights to the sonic ip have had ambitions of building some on our shores in the past (before Covid). Atm there’s nothing to indicate those plans occurring now.

Proposals are proposals. Nothing is concrete until trademarks get filed and DA’s come out. I’d say the ambition and passion is there but we’d be solidly many years off, the company got hit very hard during Covid.
A full on sonic theme park is quite interesting because yes the IP is in a strong position these days with the movies and games being successful, it wasn’t as recently as 5 years ago. Things can change at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Baconjack

I doubt this will get off the ground. How many times have ambitious projects like these been announced, only to be abandoned shorty after? It’ll be cool if it does open, but I’m not getting my hopes up just yet. Also, I personally feel like Sydney deserves a park like this over Melbourne, seeing as though Melbourne already has 4 pretty well established theme parks (plus an indoor park with Legoland) while Sydney really only has Luna Park. 

Edited by Noll_57
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Noll_57 said:

I doubt this will get off the ground. How many times have ambitious projects like these been announced, only to be abandoned shorty after? It’ll be cool if it does open, but I’m not getting my hopes up just yet. Also, I personally feel like Sydney deserves a park like this over Melbourne, seeing as though Melbourne already has 4 pretty well established theme parks (plus an indoor park with Legoland) while Sydney really only has Luna Park. 

Could be the more receptive political environment down there that makes it more viable...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the former Sega World in Sydney.

The last time we visited Docklands it was a desert island of abandoned storefronts and not at all the premier entertainment district it had been intended to be. There's merit in this idea merely because of all the available real estate in the complex to make use of, however that did nothing to help Sega World Sydney and I don't think it'll work in melbourne either.

9 hours ago, Noll_57 said:

Yeah I’d visit on day 1 if it ever got off the ground but I doubt it will.

The park itself is a good idea if not a little ambitious, the scale of what they promise is a bit excessive. Did some digging and the company behind this is legit, the guy is legit, seems like Sega themselves are in for another crack and they’ve got plenty of cash. Something like this would draw interest from the public - the last time something was attempted in Docklands (paramount in the late 90’s) it was very poorly timed with fox studios opening and investors got scared off and they never got the money to build. 

But it’s a very interesting choice of IP. Yes it’s a strong IP now but will it be in 5 years without the movies? Sonic is not a timeless IP like superheroes and scooby-doo. Yes Sonic has been around for 30 years but it wasn’t popular 5 years ago, making it the central IP is just foolish. The logic of “our brand is huge” was used to build Sega World and it failed (among other circumstances). Those circumstances have changed though, indoor entertainment places are a huge thing now, Timezone is bigger than its ever been, escape rooms are popular, among other types of activities like go kart places and so on.

Edited by Baconjack

14 hours ago, Baconjack said:

But it’s a very interesting choice of IP. Yes it’s a strong IP now but will it be in 5 years without the movies? Sonic is not a timeless IP like superheroes and scooby-doo. Yes Sonic has been around for 30 years but it wasn’t popular 5 years ago, making it the central IP is just foolish. The logic of “our brand is huge” was used to build Sega World and it failed (among other circumstances). Those circumstances have changed though, indoor entertainment places are a huge thing now, Timezone is bigger than its ever been, escape rooms are popular, among other types of activities like go kart places and so on.

I mean, Nintendo released Mario Bros in 1983 and its expanded universe of characters is pretty much the only IP to feature in the 2, going on 3 Nintendo World's built around the world (though Donkey Kong will soon be added). Nintendo has the added benefit of ongoing console development and the large array of Mario world games including Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros.

(Fun fact - Sonic is also featured in Super Smash Bros)

I'll grant you the Sonic universe is nowhere near as strong as the Mario one, but that doesn't mean it isn't timeless, lacking relevance. The franchise experienced struggles through the 2000's (primarily a legacy of Sega withdrawing from the console market) however they continued to release ports and new games for arcades and other console platforms and continue to do so. While not every title has been successful (neither has every Mario title) they continue to release games across all major platforms including Nintendo, Xbox, PS and even PC-windows, as well as arcade cabinets for various olympic games releases.

The film rights have been circulating since 1994, with MGM and Dreamworks both passing in on the scripts. Sony bought the film rights in 2013, later selling them to Paramount in turnaround. It became the sixth highest grossing film of 2020, and the highest grossing film based on a video game in history. Sonic 2 then smashed that record by a further 30%. (Sonic 3 is set to be released at the end of this year)

Is the franchise popular because of the films? OR were the films popular at the box office because of the franchise? I'll admit that there is potentially a bit of nostalgia driving the box office sales, from Milennials who grew up with a mega drive - but doesn't that prove the IP has a strength and timelessness to continue?

• One of the world's most popular video game characters, by 1992 Sonic was more recognizable to children ages 6 to 11 than Disney's Mickey Mouse.
  • In 1993, Sonic became the first video game character to have a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and he was one of the four characters inducted on the Walk of Game in 2005, alongside Mario, Link, and Master Chief.
  • Additionally, a Japanese team developing the Radio & Plasma Wave Investigation (RPWI) instrumentation for the Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer spacecraft, to be launched by ESA and Airbus in 2023, received approval to use Sonic as the mascot.
  • Sonic and Eggman appear as minor characters in the Walt Disney Animation Studios films Wreck-It Ralph (2012) and Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018), while Sonic makes cameos in Ready Player One (2018) and Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022).
  • Summer of Sonic is an annual Sonic convention held in the UK since it was first conceived in 2006

(I also just found the Fandom, which goes far deeper than I ever imagined it would - Sonic Wiki Zone | Fandom)