King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld

Tricoart

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

All of Dreamworld’s promotional materials? Yes. Flying Greg Yong to Europe to announce it at the IAAPA Intamin Booth? Not really, no (but it shows they’ve got a good relationship ig, so hopefully that’ll be fruitful into the future).

Flying Greg to IAAPA should happen every year anyway... The head of a theme park should be attending the industry summit each year.

15 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Flying Greg to IAAPA should happen every year anyway... The head of a theme park should be attending the industry summit each year.

That’s why locational events exist, though. There’s separate IAAPA’s for North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, etc., as well as a non-IAAPA event held yearly on the Gold Coast. Flying Dreamworld staff to Europe to experience the modern Intamin Gyro Swings that exist there (as Greg said he did) makes sense, but for the purpose of attending IAAPA, let alone to announce a Dreamworld attraction at the Intamin booth there, I still believe that choice makes less sense.

Edited by Tricoart

This gets a Solid DW mark of 3.5/10 so very DW expected!  I'm actually all for DW enhancing their offering....as the park is really only a 1/2 day theme-park at the moment, with few seriously good attractions....this is modest, but totally DW expected!

10 hours ago, Ranger said:

So, in general, what do we think about the announcement? Worth the fanfare?

I was thinking it would be more IMO. Given the industry fanfare, Greg flying over there, a pretty lengthy & secret lead up, I was expecting some game changer announcement of a brand new ride (or rides) with features no one has ever seen yet… Some ride announcement where Intamin can show in front of all their competitors at the expo “hold my beer and check this insane sh!t the we can do”

That’s not to say I’m not grateful or looking forward to KC… I must’ve just had too high of hopes originally…

9 hours ago, Tricoart said:

That’s why locational events exist, though. There’s separate IAAPA’s for North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, etc., as well as a non-IAAPA event held yearly on the Gold Coast. Flying Dreamworld staff to Europe to experience the modern Intamin Gyro Swings that exist there (as Greg said he did) makes sense, but for the purpose of attending IAAPA, let alone to announce a Dreamworld attraction at the Intamin booth there, I still believe that choice makes less sense.

IAPPA gets moved around, and it's not just about the actual show floor. They also run site visits. Eg IAPPA Orlando last year you could do tours of Rise of the Resistance, Volcano Bay, Pipeline Surf Coaster etc.

The Asia show has been held in Shanghai, Singapore etc.

The Amsterdam show this year has tours of Efteling, Toverland, Center Parcs

So attendees interested in particular attractions for their own Parks, interested in learning about operations at other parks, new technologies etc can do all this sort of stuff on the same trip. Or heck even visit suppliers or other parks on their own 

7 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

27t42s98k? At a guess its

• 27m tall
  • 42m high swing
  • 98 kilometres per hour

13 hours ago, wikiverse said:

Fingers crossed they're also talking to Intamin about Motocoaster.

Makes sense. Not to get peoples hopes up, but I’m thinking that during the current ‘maintenance’ they’ll retheme it and give it a new name. And then next year they’ll get new trains, which Intamin will commission while they’re over here for King Claw.

Dreamworld have created a page on their website for King Claw: https://www.dreamworld.com.au/rides-attractions/dreamworld/thrill-rides/king-claw/

59 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Diverting the topic here, but when they were doing this campaign, can anyone remember if this code was figured out before it was confirmed by the park?

48 minutes ago, themagician said:

Diverting the topic here, but when they were doing this campaign, can anyone remember if this code was figured out before it was confirmed by the park?

Yes, pretty sure they had a prize for the first person to guest it correctly and it was won by somebody. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deano554 said:

The footprint will be will be larger for the King Claw, will King Claw go where the Claw is or Kickback Cove!

Well do we know if they still need the footprint to be so large for the restricted area? Maybe they could have the supports further out then the restricted area, and keep most pathing where it already is, I'm not a engineer or safety expert so this is what I am wondering...

I also find it interesting that it is going to take a year to build, when they have built the entirety of Rivertown in the same amount of time...

Edited by Themepark Enthusist

1 hour ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

I also find it interesting that it is going to take a year to build, when they have built the entirety of Rivertown in the same amount of time...

They would want to give Rivertown 12 months of clear air in terms of being the newest thing, then when the excitement of the new area wanes…. Bam… king claw opens.

I’m sure they could get it built in a shorter timeline if they wanted to, but there is no benefit to do so 

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

They would want to give Rivertown 12 months of clear air in terms of being the newest thing, then when the excitement of the new area wanes…. Bam… king claw opens.

I’m sure they could get it built in a shorter timeline if they wanted to, but there is no benefit to do so 

I think you might be on the right track, but I also just don't think DW has the ride catalogue to lose a major ride for the whole year just to let Rivertown have 12months to its self

7 minutes ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

I think you might be on the right track, but I also just don't think DW has the ride catalogue to lose a major ride for the whole year just to let Rivertown have 12months to its self

It covers that a lot more than any other park would. They just need to ensure they don’t have 2 other flats down consecutively at any other time during the year to not piss off locals

At the end of the day It is all marketing strategy for the day trip and interstate market. 

There is enough buzz from Rivertown to drive attendances through 2025. King Claw is spaced out enough to pull back return trips for those who checkout Rivertown Xmas/easter 

27 minutes ago, red dragin said:

A seven day a week opening park would also make removal of the ride challenging, isn't it kinda land locked? 

Large components would have to be trucked in and out at night I'd assume. 

Wouldn’t think so.

barrier fence at the end of the Main Street shops and another at kickback cove and there is a direct exit route straight to the carpark for heavy vehicles. Just means those on Main Street wanting to head to Gold Coaster and shockwave have to go via Dreamland

• Like 2

3 hours ago, red dragin said:

A seven day a week opening park would also make removal of the ride challenging, isn't it kinda land locked? 

Large components would have to be trucked in and out at night I'd assume. 

How long did ocean parade take to renovate... I don't think it was close to 12months. Just seems excessive 

1 hour ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

How long did ocean parade take to renovate... I don't think it was close to 12months. Just seems excessive 

the ride isn’t closing to february, they then have to take down the whole ride (which will take longer then usual as it’s surrounded by guests paths and the park is open at night two nights a week), they then have to do ground work, electrical, vertical construction, theming, commissioning, and then get it signed off.

February - December construction period sounds good. for all we know end of the year could be anytime from September - December.

10 hours ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

Doomsday construction started January 2016 with the ride opening September 2016. While Doomsday had more theming than King Claw likely will they didn't also have to remove an entire ride before starting construction. 10-11 months seems reasonable imo

21 hours ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

This is the first construction photo that was uploaded to Parkz, which was at the end of April. That doesn’t necessarily mean it was taken then, but I’d say construction did at least start early 2004, and it opened September 2004. So there is a chance that King Claw could open by the September school holidays if there aren’t any unexpected or weather delays

IMG_6050.jpeg

On 28/09/2024 at 9:44 AM, Brad2912 said:

They would want to give Rivertown 12 months of clear air

6 months is enough.  It's already being heavily promoted online.  They haven't really scheduled for 12 months of marketing and they don't need it - the audiences are different.  If they close Claw at end of Jan, they should be opening King Claw in time for Sept school holidays.

2 hours ago, Narra said:

they didn't also have to remove an entire ride before starting construction. 10-11 months seems reasonable imo

Removing a ride can be done in a week.  It's all just bolted together.  The slow part will be demolishing/rebuilding the station if they need to. But presumably, the queue and station will remain, and the lowering floor will be widened toward the path with new footings for the structure.  There is actually a lot of room to do this that is currently taken up by gardens and food trucks.  There's no reason all of that couldn't easily be done in 3-4 months, with 3-4 months to install the new ride.

So let's all hope for good weather and speedy shipping and we'll all be taking our first rides on King Claw this time next year.