King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld

Tricoart

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Not sure how it happened but I missed the front page of the press release - (actually dated tomorrow.)

image.thumb.png.cf8839351badc16b5ce5921652ff073c.pngimage.thumb.png.46e531aed1ac3e9bf111e9a166543442.png

Makes sense why there hasn't been any posts on their/local news's behalf, despite Greg Yong literally being in Europe for the announcement.

12 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

That new Claw monster looks quite similar to Cthulhu. I wonder if this ride is going to have a lovecraftian styled theme?

Whatever it is, so long as it's themed at least to the same level of OG Claw (and, personally, that it hopefully isn't grey), I'm excited. Even without the added height, OTSLs are already a major enough upgrade IMO.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

In the same vein as Dreamworld covering the park in solar panels, the Intamin press call also mentioned that King Claw will actually return power to the grid during operation - I'm assuming the ride uses some sort of regenerative braking system (similar to electric cars) - so the ride is going to be more energy efficient to operate and potentially offset its (electrical) operating costs to a great degree - this is a huge cost saving to the park as well...

8 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Whatever it is, so long as it's themed at least to the same level of OG Claw (and, personally, that it hopefully isn't grey), I'm excited. Even without the added height, OTSLs are already a major enough upgrade IMO.

Maybe we will see a full Ocean Parade redo, including shaded seating... Maybe the reopening of the FloRider would be cool.... And opening up the old trolls village 

4 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Looks like the new restraint system will be more accommodating - looks like a waist only harness....

image.thumb.png.c9a2033a95c3191346b0b18d68f5019e.png

Yeah, they're OTSLs, like DCR/ST, instead of the OTSRs on Claw/Superman. Not only more accommodating for taller riders, but will greatly aid the weightlessness at peak heights.  

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, TBoy said:

Where are they going to get the space to put it if it is 2 times larger? It will require a much larger footprint, wouldn’t something have to go?

According to Intamin's technical data the 40 seat actually takes up less space, but even if that's a mistake, and they are around the wrong way it's only an extra six meters of required space,  so could easily fit in it's current orientation or turned 90°

Screenshot_20240924-214517.png

50 minutes ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

Maybe we will see a full Ocean Parade redo, including shaded seating... Maybe the reopening of the FloRider would be cool.... And opening up the old trolls village 

FloRider is gone. The concept has had its time, especially given the location. It made somewhat sense when there WWW entry was there, but no longer.

Trolls Village? I mean it hasn't been that for years, and they don't have a dreamworks license, so that isnt happening.

6 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

All this fanfare for a Pendulum ride that still doesn’t swing as high as The Beast…. 

They should have gone real big and went with Zamperla. 

Classic Dreamworld. 

if you’re over 5’10, the bulky Zamperla restraints are a no go and it’s very restricting on riders, more so then the current restraints. King Claw will definitely be superior then anything they could’ve gotten from Zamperla.

Edited by Levi
  • Like 3

Just now, Levi said:

if you’re over 5’10, the bulky Zamperla restraints are a no go and it’s very restricting on riders, more so then the current restraints. King Claw will definitely be superior then anything they could’ve gotten from Zamperla.

So it’s about catering towards larger people instead of providing a premiere attraction that is something unique? 

The parks are literally soo embarrassing here with their flat rides. The fact that we have three travelling rides now that exceed the height of anything that’s in a park is insane. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joshaaye said:

Judging by the blueprint style image they released, I'm quite surprised it doesn't do the full loop. I'd be curious to know why something seemingly so simple isn't added to add that extra element to help make it "King". More like "Queen Claw" without it ;)

Though that would somewhat recategorize The Claw, and therefore could be something Dreamworld wished to avoid, the most likely reason is that Intamin just doesn't make a fully inverting Gyro Swing (and their closest ride to it is the well-documented Twin Hammer).

11 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

So it’s about catering towards larger people instead of providing a premiere attraction that is something unique? 

Flat rides (at least those here in AUS) should focus on being accommodating, reliable, efficient, & comfortable above all else IMO. Leave marquee record-breakers/unique concepts to the coasters, and let the flats be intermediary people eaters. 

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

All this fanfare for a Pendulum ride that still doesn’t swing as high as The Beast…. 

They should have gone real big and went with Zamperla. 

Classic Dreamworld. 

What fanfare are you speaking of? because to this end, there has been none. Its just chatter on a theme park forum. 

it's 2m shorter than Beast, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing, and Beast is a travelling ride so isn't even included in records for permanent installations at theme parks. 

9 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

2m of height doesn't change whether something is "premiere" or not. 

12 minutes ago, Joshaaye said:

Judging by the blueprint style image they released, I'm quite surprised it doesn't do the full loop. I'd be curious to know why something seemingly so simple isn't added to add that extra element to help make it "King". More like "Queen Claw" without it ;)

The massive jump in height will already alienate some riders that currently enjoy Claw - which is an immensely popular attraction. Add a full inversion to it and you are then moving from a moderate to high thrill ride, and scaring away a hell of a lot of riders. I think the decision not to go full loop is the absolute correct one in this case.

• Like 2

Just now, Brad2912 said:

What fanfare are you speaking of? because to this end, there has been none. Its just chatter on a theme park forum. 

it's 2m shorter than Beast, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing, and Beast is a travelling ride so isn't even included in records for permanent installations at theme parks. 

Moreso was in relation to this announcement at IAAPA. Not really groundbreaking. But ok Dreamworld. 

It’s 3 metres 😉 The Beast has a swing height of 45 metres. I’d say rather impressive for a travelling ride. There was no reason Dreamworld couldn’t have bought something bigger. 

12 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

The fact that we have three travelling rides now that exceed the height of anything that’s in a park is insane. 

yet absolutely no one cares about this fact, apart from, you. The GP don't, hell 99% of them wouldnt even know what Beast is, let alone it's height or where they could ride it next. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

There was no reason Dreamworld couldn’t have bought something bigger. 

There is no reason they couldn't have replaced Claw with an entirely different ride altogether, but beating the height of a travelling ride would not have played into any conversation or decision making

Edited by Brad2912

• Gazza changed the title to King Claw - Larger Replacement Intamin Gyro Swing for Dreamworld